Luna Park Fire
Acrylic/ canvas 24x30” 1996
The grand opening was on May 16, 1903 when, at eight o'clock in the evening, 250,000 electric lights were switched on. On the left, nearest the entrance, were three giant buildings. The first housed Luna's premiere attraction, “A Trip to the Moon.” Luna's constant change of attractions brought much repeat business to the park, especially by Coney Island regulars who thought they had experienced everything. Luna's most popular ride, its Trip to the Moon was experienced by an estimated 4,250,000 people over its five year run.
At 3:30 P.M. on August 12th, 1944, a fire broke out in the washroom at Luna's Dragon Gorge Scenic Railroad building, a classic roller coaster located midway along the western side of the park. Flames spread quickly to a double row of wooden structures adjoining it, and fanned by a sea breeze raced towards the rear of the park. It was the end of Luna Park.